How to make sure your move is worry free
The first step is finding a truly reputable company. You can start with the internet and use other sources such as neighbours, friends and family. The goal should be to find a minimum of four established companies that have been in business and can provide references. moving companies brooklyn
Call the companies and schedule a time for the movers to visit and provide a quote. After you have received a few different quotes, narrow the choice by the impression the moving company left you with. If a mover says they will not visit your home to provide an estimate, continue the search.
Ask the Right Questions
Be sure to ask the right questions to the movers you have chosen. You can find out if they will be doing the move in-house or sub-contracting. It’s very important that they are not selling the contract to a third party. You can be direct and ask questions about the quotes you have received to the movers.
In case it’s your first time to move to another state, it is really difficult for you to hire long distance moving companies. You need to be very careful in making decision because of the drawbacks that it may have, especially on the money that you would be spending. To warn you about moving scams, below are the top 10 list that fraudulent long distance moving companies use among their clients. Take time to read this so you will be aware and be prepared in case you will encounter these situations when you are moving to a new state.
1. Asking for large initial cash-out: Never choose a long distance moving companies that ask for a big amount of cash deposit. They might just want to have your money and gain control over the situation, but be reminded, trustworthy companies just ask for the remaining payment after the service has been completed. When making deposit, it is advisable to make it via a credit card; this makes you more protected from any attempts of extortion.
2. Some companies underrate what your specs are, and then they will ask for extra charges: Moving companies that doesn’t take a look on the property that you will be moving is somewhat worth investigating for. Are you not bothered why they are so relaxed considering that your property that will be moved can totally change their expenditures? Providers who conduct business this way will surely give you significant additional charges soon after their services.
3. Be cautious, some moving companies improperly handle your things: They need to handle your things properly, especially if you pay them to pack your things. On the other hand, irresponsible moving companies may just break your things, so getting suggestions from somebody will greatly help.
4. Some moving companies may not give insurance towards your properties: Property can be really damaged in some instances of move but some movers are insured so they can cover up for this cost. To make sure that your things will be covered for damages, extensively check what your moving company can offer for insurance.
5. Staffs and employees of these companies do not undergo any background checks and even drug testing: You better check this out before letting your moving company handle things for you. There could be a high percentage of improper handling when proper checks like this doesn’t takes place, worst is to lose your hard-earned properties.
6. Moving companies are getting control of your properties; your things are their hostage: This kind of moving scam is very frightening and it’s just one of the most common; after the move has been facilitated, you will be shocked for huge additional charges. These companies will treat your possessions like a hostage and you can only claim it as soon as you pay the charges that they are imposing. It’s truly distressing to be in this kind of situation; therefore, you have to make sure that everything is clear and written.
7. Written contract is not provided by your movers: A written contract keeps both parties protected; before you get into any transactions or official agreement, be sure to have this formal document.
8. In a much worse scenario, a moving company will ask you to enter a blank contract: Don’t ever agree on that! Entering to this kind of scenario is just a trap – Never ever do this at any point of time and stay away from any companies who attempt to pressure you on signing this blank contract.
Make sure you verify the company name, number of years in business, address and licence. You can get further reassurance by visiting the company office and making sure that it exists and is legitimate. Keep your eyes on the company vehicles and storage area. A professional mover that is well established in the industry will have proper logos on vehicles.